Major Curran – OIC, Alpha Company: 33rd Provincial Battalion, New Guard




++++++++++

The Major re-read the hand-scrawled message:

‘Scouts report Union forces at northern docks, occupying waterfront warehouses – estimated platoon strength, no armour or guns. Alpha Coy to advance, displace opposition and secure position until relieved.’

Grunting, he handed the paper to one of his command staff knowing it would be relayed amongst his platoon commanders. From his position in what was once a cannery, he could see the maze of brick warehouses and stores that his men had spent weeks fighting through. Every brick seemed to hide a trip-wire, hidden gun, or sniper’s nest, and the toll was starting to show on his men.

‘What I wouldn’t give for some artillery.’

++++++++++

Major Curran – OIC, Alpha Company: 33rd Provincial Battalion, New Guard

A veteran of the Great War, Major Curran is an experienced officer having commanded infantry units in North Africa and on the Western Front. While he retired from the Army on his return to Australia in 1918, he was ready to serve when the New Guard called for him.





++++++++++

Major Curran is from the Warlord Miniatures BEF Command pack and is exactly what I imagine a grizzled veteran of the Great War would look like, leading a (semi-organised) military force against them ‘orrible Unions. While the miniature has the option of a separate head, I decided that the service cap provided with the pack would be more appropriate for a New Guard commander than a slouch hat. Having said that, there's some really useful miniatures in the pack so don't be surprised if I end up buying a second pack.

I’m still in the stockpiling stage for this project, but I expect the remainder of the Major’s command staff to include:
- Crusty Warrant Officer (Is there any other kind?)
- Standard Bearer
- Runner
- Rifleman/Aide
- Signaller (Semaphore, rockets?)
- Strange man in a suit (Government liaison, unknown benefactor?)
 


I’m also undecided on what rules I should use for my games, but command and control is something that I always find interesting so expect to see the Major have some influence on the table beyond simply throwing more attack dice than junior soldiers. To this end also expect to see a role on the table for runners, messenger flares and even messenger-hounds! If I can't find rules that cover all this, I expect I'll end up putting something together to meet my needs. There's something strangely appealing about pre-written orders in games, and it's a mechanic that doesn't see much use in modern rules.

Up next: a tester for my Trades Hall Militia!

Comments

  1. Nice figure!
    I'll be interested to see the rules you decide on using, I'm using A World Aflame it is good but has 'holes' and I've made some changes to improve play flow...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The start of something, grand?

Scale Comparisons - Various Manufacturers